Have you ever wondered what to do if your child accidentally swallows medication or if bleach gets splashed in your eyes while cleaning your home? Immediate, lifesaving guidance is just a phone call away at poison control centers.
There are facilities dedicated to helping people faced with a poisoning emergency.
Children and even adults can easily swallow or inhale potentially poisonous substances or be exposed through the skin or eyes, and immediate action is needed to limit their damage. Calling poison control can provide you with the instructions you need to handle any poison emergency.
Accidental poisoning is the second leading cause of death from unintentional injury, behind only motor vehicle accidents, the CDC says.
Although poisoning tends to be more common in young children—about half of all reported poisonings involve children younger than 6 years old—poisoning is typically more serious in adults.
Poisoning can be caused by ingesting:
Personal care products or cosmetics
Various medications, such as pain medicine and cough-and-cold drugs
Poisonous plants, including mushrooms
Poison control centers are always open—24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. They're staffed by pharmacists, doctors, nurses, and other experts who are available by phone. They can provide emergency advice in more than 150 languages and have the equipment to communicate with the hearing impaired.
Poison control center staff can explain what to do when there's been an intentional or an accidental poisoning. Besides providing immediate advice in emergencies, staff members can also answer questions about poisonous substances and offer tips and suggestions to help prevent a poison emergency. Following their advice may eliminate the need for a trip to the doctor or hospital if action is taken quickly. Poison control center staff members also follow up after a poisoning emergency call to make sure that there are no further symptoms and all is well.
All poison control centers are reached by calling 800-222-1222, a national, toll-free number. It can be used to reach a poison control center from anywhere in the U.S.
You should call poison control if you know or suspect that someone has:
Taken too much medication
Taken medication that was not prescribed or intended for him or her
Been bitten or stung by an insect and is showing signs of an allergic reaction
Ingested a cleaning product or household product, such as a pesticide, antifreeze, or motor oil
Ingested a personal care product or cosmetic, such as hair gel or perfume
Consumed too much alcohol
Call poison control immediately—the moment you suspect someone might be poisoned. This is critical because signs and symptoms of poisoning often don't occur right away.
Post the poison control phone number in a visible spot in your home and add poison control as a contact in your cell phone so that the number is easily accessible at all times.