McLaren Port Huron – a leader in healing, your partner in health.

McLaren Port Huron History: Celebrating A Heritage of Excellence

 

More than 130 years ago, the people of Port Huron had a vision . . . the vision of providing the finest healthcare available to meet the needs of a growing community of 8,000 residents. Building on its proud beginnings as Port Huron Hospital and Home, the McLaren Port Huron hospital of today is a modern 186-bed medical complex that offers a wide range of clinical, diagnostic, rehabilitative, therapeutic, supportive and educational services to the residents of St. Clair and Sanilac Counties. In addition to its main campus in Port Huron, the hospital operates community health centers in Marysville, Yale, Lexington and Capac.

1879 A group of concerned citizens form plans to establish "Port Huron Hospital and Home."
1882 The first hospital is built in White Park to accommodate 15 patients.
1900 Port Huron Hospital and Home installs electricity, replacing gas lights.
1904 The cornerstone for the new hospital was laid during an impressive ceremony
1905

New 32-bed hospital located on Richardson Street opens on June 8. The original hospital on White Street was sold for $325. Private room beds in the new hospital were $12-15 per week and ward beds were $7 per week. For the first time, a baby was born in Port Huron Hospital.

1906

The Hospital Aid Society was organized. Its first project was to improve the hospital grounds. The first Hospital Fiesta was held. It netted $150.

1907 More than 5,000 attended the Second Annual Hospital Fiesta
1912 The mortgage for the hospital was burned in a public ceremony on the hospital grounds.
1918

Port Huron Hospital resources were severely strained but nurses handled the Spanish Flu epidemic well. The epidemic was the worst natural disaster of the 20th century. The Hospital is enlarged by 18 beds. Additional property is purchased.

1919 The name of the Hospital is changed from "Port Huron Hospital and Home" to "Port Huron Hospital".
1920 Port Huron Hospital joins the Michigan Hospital Association.
1922 Hospital acquires its first x-ray equipment.
1925 The first laboratory is installed in the hospital.
1930 The Board of Directors approved a fundraising plan for an expansion of the hospital.
1932 The cornerstone for the new building expansion on Willow Street is laid on January 15.
1937 New 105-bed hospital opens in February.
1950 The City gave the Emergency Hospital for treatment of contagious diseases to Port Huron Hospital, what is known as the Jenks Unit. The Hospital adds Physical Therapy and Laundry departments and hires its first full-time Radiologist.
1953 A new 56-bed addition is added north of the main building.
1962 The School of Radiologic Technology is established at Port Huron Hospital.
1972 New east wing is built, bringing the total bed compliment to 250. Respiratory Care and Social Services are established.
1973 Physician coverage in the Emergency room goes to twelve-hours and Alcohol Therapy Services are established.
1975 An eight-bed Neonatal Intensive Care (high-risk) nursery is added. Pediatrics Unit converted from 44 beds to 22 beds and 14 medical-surgical beds added
1978 Construction on sixth-floor completed, adding a 12-bed ICU/CCU Unit, 19-bed Post Coronary Care Unit, cardiopulmonary Inpatient Exercise Lab and a Conference Room.
1980
1982
Parking structure and power plant/maintenance construction completed.
Hospital celebrates 100 year anniversary and establishes a new parent company, Blue Water Health Services.
1984 Construction and renovations completed on Emergency Center, Rehabilitation Services, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Cardiopulmonary Services in the new east addition.
1986 Production and videotaping of the first Port Huron Hospital Today's Health 30 minute, weekly television program begins.
1988 Port Huron HospitalFoundation, 55 Plus and Women's Health Programs established.
1993 Open Heart Surgery and Angioplasty offered through new "Partners at Heart" agreement with Mercy Hospital. Orthopedic Sport and Spine outreach opened at Birchwood Athletic Club. Pre-Admission Testing Services consolidated to the 1st floor. Redesign of Emergency Center Entrance completed.
1994 Federal Trade Commission blocks merger with Mercy Hospital.
1995 Women's Wellness Place opens, providing a wide range of clinical and educational services or women in a single, convenient location. East parking lot renovations completed adding 86 spaces. Major replacement of hospital-wide heating, ventilation and air-conditioning was completed to revitalize core facilities.
1996 Port Huron Hospital assists with the conversion from Yale Community Hospital to Yale Community Health Center.
1997 Birthing Service redesign begins. Phase I of Care Manager Information System goes live. Take Care-a-Van is introduced.
1997 Port Huron Hospital introduces its first website on the world wide web.
1998 Port Huron Hospital receives the Michigan Quality Leadership Award. Lexington and Marysville Community Health Centers open. Port Huron Hospital Outpatient Center opens. Miriam F. Acheson Family Birth Place completed. Construction begins on Yale Community Health Center. Pediatric unit renovation completed.
1999 Yale Community Health Center opens. Construction begins on Capac Community Health Center
2000 Capac Community Health Center opens. Construction begins on John F. Wismer Health Center
2001 John F. Wismer Health Center opens with services including Women's Wellness, Lab, X-Ray, Outpatient Surgery, Diabetes Education, Outpatient Procedures, Lang Health Library and Duffy Wellness Classrooms.
2001 25th Anniversary of Neonatal Intesnive Care nursery is celebrated.
2001 A dedicated Inpatient Cancer unit is opened.
2002 Emergency Center redesign approved and construction started.
2002 A bariatric surgery program is started and the LAP-BAND® Center of Michigan is established at Port Huron Hospital
2003 Emergency Center Addition opens and renovations of older Emergency Center area begins. Lap Band Center of Michigan opens. Joint Connections program started.
2003 Port Huron Hospital opens a Pain Management Center.
2004

Wound Healing Center opens. Emergency Center construction completed.

2005 Emergency Center Redesign adds additional efficiency, capacity and privacy.
2006 The 100 year anniversary of the Port Huron Hospital Auxiliary is celebrated
2006 A dedicated electrophysiology lab is opened.
2006 Port Huron Hospitaladds a new 64-slice CT scanner.
2006 Port Huron Hospital named a Solucient Top 100 Hospital in the U.S.
2006 Center for Sleep Medicine moves to Fort Gratiot location.
2007 Port Huron Hospital celebrates our 125th Anniversary. Many gathered for an employee photo to commemorate the event.
2007 Port Huron Hospital completes construction and remodeling for the area that will permanently house a new Philips 3 Tesla MRI.
2008 Groundbreaking for Medical Office Building located on the north east section of the hospital's campus.
2008 Emergency Center is expanded for additional treatment rooms
2009 Medical Office Building opens.
2009 Port Huron Hospital is the only Michigan hospital to receive the Commission on Cancer's Outstanding Achievement Award
2010 Jefferson Adult Learning Center purchased from Port Huron Area School District and renovations begin
2010 Dedication and opening of a State-of-the-Art Cardiac Electrophysiology lab
2011 Jefferson Building is renovated and opens as the new location of Port Huron Hospital;s 55 Plus
2012 McLaren Port Huron expands bariatric surgery services to perform additional laparoscopic bariatric procedures as the Bariatric Center of Michigan.
2012 McLaren Port Huron begins da Vinci Robotic Surgery Services
2012 McLaren Port Huron MRI services are established 
2012 The McLaren Port Huron School of Radiologic Technology is closed following a successful transfer of the accreditation and program to St. Clair County Community College. 
2013  McLaren Port Huron is the only hospital in Michigan to receive the Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award for the second time. Since the recognition was established in 1922, we are one of eight hospitals in the U.S. to receive this designation for consecutive survey periods by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
2014 McLaren Port Huron becomes McLaren Port Huron, the 12th hospital in the not-for-profit McLaren Health Care system.

System Partners